City of Lister
There are a number of factors involved in hiring NPCs or retainers. These determine if the potential hireling will take the job and how loyal he is. The DM makes these rolls in secret.
- Payment – for every 50% increase over standard pay equals a + 1 to the loyalty roll. For every 10% decrease equals a – 1 to the roll.
- Charisma – the employers Charisma Modifier applies to the loyalty roll.
- Term of Service – if the employment is offered for at least 3 months, add + 1 to the loyalty roll.
What causes a retainer to make a loyalty check?
For positions where danger is not expected…
- Whenever danger is encountered.
- If witness to scandalous or illegal deeds.
- A change in pay or living conditions.
- Being asked to perform duties beyond their normal job.
For positions where danger is expected…
- Any opportunity to greatly profit at the employers expense.
- Being asked to do obviously dangerous things
- Being used as cannon fodder or trap testers will cause all of the retainers to make a loyalty check.
- When ordered to do something by someone who is not their employer.
Types of Retainers
- Accountant: payment is 1% of money handled. Retaining five or more NPCs costs an additional d20 % a month unless an accountant is hired.
- Alchemist: payment is 250 sp per month. Reduce the amount of laboratory time for Magic Users by D6 days per project.
- Animal Handler: payment is 14 sp per day, or 140 per month. Owning five or more animals costs D20 % more per month unless an animal handler is hired. One animal handler is required for every 20 animals.
- Armorer: payment is 50 sp per month. One armorer is required for every 50 troops.
- Butler: Payment is 150 sp per month.
- Coachman: payment is 6 sp per day, or 60 sp per month. Coach and animals must be purchased seperately.
- Craftsman: payment is 100 sp per month.
- Guard: payment is 8 sp per day, or 84 sp per month. Do not travel.
- Guide: payment is 14 sp per day plus a 1/10 share of treasure.
- Laborer: 5 sp per day, 56 per month. For every 10 laborers, a foreman must be hired for 2x the wage of a laborer.
- Torchbearer: 4 sp per day, 42 per month. They do nothing but hold a light source. Goes just about anywhere.
- Physician: 28 sp per day, 280 sp per month. Recovery of hit points 2x as fast under the care of a physician.
- Sailor: payment is 1/5 share of treasure.
- Captain: payment is 1 share, equal to that of the Player Characters, of treasure. This is a ship’s captain, not to be confused with a mercenary captain, which is described below.
- Navigator: payment is 1/2 share of treasure.
- Oarsman: payment is 1/5 share of treasure.
- Scholar: 100 sp per month. Reduces laboratory time for Magic Users by D4 weeks per project.
- Servant: 5 sp per day, 56 sp per month. Do not travel.
- Slave: 1 sp per day, plus 20 to 100 sp to buy.
- Slave Master: 70 sp per month. A slave master is needed for every 10 slaves.
- Spy: 200 sp per month. Can be hired for no less than 6 months.
- Teamster: 10 sp per day, 100 sp per month. Decrease pack animals encumbrance, and reduce chances of vehicles breaking down.
Mercenaries: all Mercenaries are 0 level fighters. For every 10 you need a sergeant. Sergeants are 1st level fighters, paid 2x as much. For every group of 100, you need a captain. Captains are 3rd level fighters, paid 10x as much.
- Archer: 125 sp per month plus a 1/5 share of treasure.
- Cavalry: 200 sp per month plus a 1/5 share of treasure.
- Infantry: 100 sp per month plus a 1/5 share of treasure.
- Polearm Infantry: 150 sp per month plus a 1/5 share of treasure.